Fr.Lange's Gym jacket

Discuss Father Lange

Fr.Lange's Gym jacket

Postby paulgill » 30 Sep 2010 0927

Do any of you guys have one of these jackets? I coveted one, but it seems that by the time I got to ND, Fr.Lange had stopped giving them out.
paulgill
Site Admin

Re: Fr.Lange's Gym jacket

Postby ironman » 30 Sep 2010 0927

yes, i do and proud of it, though it is worn and frazzled by the years; i have always meant to have it refurbished, leather sleeves and all having taken a beating. several of us got one from fr lange in junior year; the square "letter" patch proclaiming fr langes ND GYM was the equivalent to a monogram for us mortals; now you have me spurred to resurrect it and have it repaired--thanks
ironman

Postby ironman » 02 Oct 2010 0927

i should add that all fr lange's jackets were XXL; mine hung on me like a sack, yet i wore it every day to class, to dinner in south caf, on dates in south bend, everywhere..i was that proud of it.
ironman

Postby edfitzpatrick » 06 Oct 2010 0927

When Bill Moran and I brought back the weights after the 1968 Indiana State Weight Lifting Championship along with the six pack of Stroh's beer, we thought he would bless us with one but to our, or at least my, disappointment, there weren't any in his little closet behind his desk area. But I have been thinking about it and if you look in the latest Hammes Notre Dame Bookstore catalog (the one titled "Irish Traditions") you will find on page 17 a jacket that looks like that Father Lange gave out to special "boys". We would need to replicate the patch so if Kent can send me a photo of it, I think I can get it reproduced and then we can all buy a jacket and have the replicated patch sown on. I realize the jacket costs $280 but here is where Dan Saracino comes in since he gets a 20% (I think it is 20% but certainly 10%) discount on stuff he buys in the bookstore. Let me know what you think about it. Ed
edfitzpatrick

Postby timgeorge » 07 Oct 2010 0927

I would buy a jacket. I still have my "Notre Dame Snatch Club" jacket. I don't know why, but it fits quite snugly!
timgeorge

Postby ironman » 09 Oct 2010 0927

gents - i will venture a trip through time and closet to access my Fr Lange jacket and see what can be done about replicating the monogram

best regards
ironman

Postby ironman » 19 Oct 2010 0927

ok, i went into the archives, i.e., closet, and pulled out my fr lange jacket. i got a real charge putting it back on again, but i have to tell you--it doesn't fit anymore. not even close.

so intend to have it repaired (several snaps are missing, cuffs are frayed and the leather is stiff and in need of some serious care), and wear it to the reunion in the spring.

after i lose 25 lbs.
ironman

Postby mspyjed » 21 Nov 2010 0927

ironman wrote:yes, i do and proud of it, though it is worn and frazzled by the years; i have always meant to have it refurbished, leather sleeves and all having taken a beating. several of us got one from fr lange in junior year; the square "letter" patch proclaiming fr langes ND GYM was the equivalent to a monogram for us mortals; now you have me spurred to resurrect it and have it repaired--thanks

I was always pround of my jacket with "Notre Dame Snatch Club" on it with a picture of a lifter doing a snatch in the snatch style of Norm Schemansky.....but some fool stole it....and it fit. At time time I was a svedlt 165 so it wouldn't fit anymore anyways....but would like to catch that low life that heisted it.
mspyjed

Postby paulgill » 22 Nov 2010 0927

So Jed, some guy snatched your Snatch Club jacket that had a picture of a guy doing a snatch on it? I hope you catch the guy, natch.

Paul
paulgill
Site Admin

Postby ironman » 14 Apr 2010 0927

update: tell the truth, i forgot all about it

so i took it yesterday to the cleaners, and he said it was so worn and thin he would not touch it

said the machines would tear it up, so i paid him to clean it by hand

and then i rubbed mink oil in the cracked old leather of the sleeves

and then my wife sewed up most of the raggedy bits, which were plenty

and i hammered two new snaps in where they had long ago ripped out

but it is like an old manuscript, a nag hammadi scroll for ancient lifters

and i will bring it, but on a hanger, since i am afraid it would split across my back

if i actually put it on
ironman

Next

Return to Father Lange