Third instllment

Third instllment

Postby paulgill » 31 Jul 2010 0927

Kent and Ed did great on the last qulturual quiz. How about some other guys giving these a shot? Monk? Mad Dog? Murph? Here goes:

1. Name the only father-son duo to win Congressional Medals of Honor.

2. On April 19, 1961, a mob in Baltimore attacked a Union army regiment that was passing through the city on its way to Washington, DC. Name the regiment.

3. Name the US Army Four Star general who transferred from Notre Dame to West Point after his freshman year, and later said that the discipline at Notre Dame was more severe than at the Academy.

4. Joshua Slocum became famous for:
a. Driving home the golden spike in Promontory, Utah, on May 10, 1869, marking the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad.
b. Hitting the first grand slam home run in MLB history.
c. Sailing alone around the world.
d. Making the first hole-in-one at St. Andrew's, Scotland.

5. Grace O'Malley was:
a. The Irish Helen of Troy
b. Miss Ireland 1955.
c. An Irish pirate.
d. The first female Admiral in the Irish Navy.

6. Which of these individuals would you most like to be marooned on an island with, and why?
a. Circe
b. Grendel
c. Grendel's mother
d. Calypso

7. Who was Polyphemus?

8. What did Klondike Murphy haul over the Chilkoot Pass on his back?

9. Where would you be if you encountered Cerebrus?

10. Name the only US president who was elected to two, non-consecutive terms of office.
paulgill
Site Admin

Re: Third instllment

Postby slimjim » 09 Aug 2010 0927

#2 massatwoshits militia attacked by those good rebel boys from below the mason dixon in maryland
#4 who likes a sailor, then?
#5 irish pirate, i would love to have sailed under her
#6 calypso because she was played by halle berry
#7 one eyed no horn flying purple greek eater ("Noman is killing me..")
#9 hades, and the three headed dog would keep you there
#10 cleveland
slimjim

Postby paulgill » 09 Aug 2010 0927

slimjim: email me: northernlight1961@yahoo.com

Paul
paulgill
Site Admin

Postby slimjim » 14 Aug 2010 0927

so how did we do on that last quizzer?

eh?

what's that?
slimjim

Postby paulgill » 14 Aug 2010 0927

You done good, SlimIronman. Here's the "rest of the story" on the Sixth Mass. Regiment at Baltimore, as told by my grandfather, William Gill:

One day, my grandfather [Michael Foley, who had emigrated from Galway about 1855] had to go over to Baltimore on business. When he got there, the Sixth Mass. Regiment had just arrived and there was considerable trouble with the soldiers, as Baltimore was with the South and the Rebels. Well, a lot of the soldiers were from Boston and, of course, Irishmen. My grandfather spied some he knew from Galway. They prevailed upon him to join the Regiment, which he did. He was with the Sixth Mass. Regiment all through the major battles and various skirmishes. I believe it was at Antietam, before Gettysburg, that their company ran out of ammunition. When the colonel gave the order to charge, they did. As they had no bullets, they used the stocks of their guns and won the battle like good Irish soldiers.

My grandfather was at Gettysburg and met President Lincoln when he gave his Memorial Address. After this, he was mustered out in Baltimore and returned to his trade as stone mason.
paulgill
Site Admin

Postby slimjim » 14 Aug 2010 0927

[code][/code]

no bullets? talk about a ferocious charge...

the civil war has been characterized by more than one historian/author as the last battle between the Celts and the Anglo-Saxons..

just like the irish to be on the wrong damn side

(see Braveheart)
slimjim

Postby Fast Eddie » 15 Aug 2010 0927

Sorry, I have been awaiting answers to the kulturral quidz I posted but none of you seem to include baseball as an academic pursuit.

Anyway, here are my answers to the latest quiz.

1) I think it was the Adams family, the father for action in the Civil War, the son during the Boer War.

2) The New York Yankees. As you will recall the campaign of 1961, it was a three horse race in the American League between the Yankees, Baltimore Orioles and Detroit Tigers. But this was Roger Maris, Mickey Mantle and the Yankees' year. The Yanks won 109 games versus 101 for Detroit and 95 for Baltimore. The Yanks won their last 15 straight, Maris broke Ruth's record with 61 dingers for the year, Mantle had 54. The team set a season record with 240 home runs with 6 players hitting more than 20 homers that year (Maris 61, Mantle 54, Moose Skowron 28, Yogi Berra 22, Elston Howard 21 and Johnny Blanchard 21). Also the two-man homer total of 115 by Maris and Mantle broke the record held by Ruth (60) and Gehrig (46) of 106 in 1927. The Maris and Mantle 2 man record still stands.

Or did you mean 1861 in which case, I have no clue.

3) ?

4) c

5) c

6) Circe because it's a challenge to see who she will turn into a pig.

7) Cyclops whom Ulysses blinded

8) A coffin

9) Hell

10)Grover Cleveland
Fast Eddie

Postby paulgill » 15 Aug 2010 0927

Ed:

You did ok...for extra credit, name the two men who built the Notre Dame grotto. Hint:http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.nd.edu/~wcawley/corson/cors004b.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.nd.edu/~wcawley/corson/grott030.htm&usg=__McAA-dUbtqz4Zm_ntVzIwK1jiN8=&h=376&w=500&sz=21&hl=en&start=24&um=1&tbnid=vAN-Zp7yweCcdM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3DIRISH%2BHUMOR%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1G1GGLQ_ENUS302%26sa%3DN%26start%3D20%26um%3D1

Paul
paulgill
Site Admin

Postby paulgill » 15 Aug 2010 0927

OK, answers for Fast Eddie and SimIronman on last quiz:
1. Douglas MacArthur Sr. and Jr.
2. Mass. Sixth Regiment
3. Alexander Haig
8. Klondike Murphy (undoubtedly the progenitor of our Mke Murphy) carried a grand piano over the Chilcoot Pass. It was placed in a bawdy house.

Now it's your turn to come up with a quiz. With all this mental stimulation, we three will have sharp minds long after our bodies have gone straight to hell.

Paul
paulgill
Site Admin

Postby geezerpower » 26 Mar 2010 0927

well what if your body has already gone straight to hell, then what?

what if your biceps have fallen down on to your forearms and when you go to rack the weight, they lump up and even 250lbs won't flatten them out and allow the bar to rest on your clavicles, then what?

well? forearm curls with 250? i think not...

Last bumped by Anonymous on 26 Mar 2010 0927.
geezerpower

Return to Reps and sets for the Brain