Ron Jeziorski

A place for boys to brag about their weightlifting accomplishments.

Ron Jeziorski

Postby paulgill » 30 Aug 2010 0927

Ron Jeziorski.jpg
Ron Jeziorski.jpg (10.45 KiB) Viewed 5555 times

When I started lifting

Why I lifted:

My lifting routine:

My best lifts:

My current workout routine:

The first time I met Fr.Lange:
paulgill
Site Admin

Re: Ron Jeziorski

Postby ironman » 08 Sep 2010 0927

just to clarify; jeziorski is the blonde adonis in the middle of the photo; the dark haired scary guy in front is either a) pete duranko or b) vlad the impaler
ironman

Re: Ron Jeziorski

Postby paulgill » 01 Jun 2010 0927

I first heard of Fr. Lange from Larry Kuharich (Joe Kuharich, Jr.) during my junior and senior years at St. Joe High across the street on Highway 31 prior. My high school coach, Wally Moore, who was hired by Ara the spring of my junior year to be the frosh coach at ND had introduced a regular but archaic and very basic weight training program during the off-season durning my freshman, sophomore and junior years which I was religiously committed. During the summer of 1962 before my senior high school football season, I began working out at Dave's Barbell Club on the west side of South Bend. There, I was fortunate to be introduced the a much stronger and sophisticated weight training according to well-established by Bob Hoffman, the first coach of the U.S. Olympic weight lifting team and founder of York Barbell etc. Under the influence of Dave Bjoraas at his gym and his Indiana and interstate champions like Winston Binney, I was blessed to quickly make gains I would otherwise not have been able to accomplish. I believe that experience was very instrumental for my ability to develop physical strength required to have a chance to play at N.D. It wasn't until after I was an ND freshman that I came learn that Dave and Fr. were friends and followers of Bob Hoffman.

In those days, footballers who worked out with weights did so after the season. I first began to know Fr. Lange working out at Fr's following that first - our freshman season. It didn't take long to realize Fr. could care less if one of the guys who worked out at his gym was all-American in any sport or on the Dean's list in academics. Although, if he was interested in a particular area other than a student's moral behavior being good, it was academic success over athletic achievement. And, we all know he gave equal attention to any of "his" students/boys who came to the gym to develop himself physically and, concurrently, socially and spiritually.

We all also know that he had little use for anyone who was bragadacio or discourteous. He was prepared to encourage any of us who simply tried...to do the extra pull-up, bench press, squat, etc. There were a couple times I had no money on a Saturday afternoon of the night I had a date (a somewhat unusual scenario for yours truly anyway). One Saturday...might have been in soph year, I military pressed the 150 lb bar 20 times; magic: can't remember if the award was $20 or $50; but, I had a couple bucks for the date that eve!

Subsequently, my junior year, I was working out on another Saturday at the same time a big soph fullback, Ralph Moore, was doing so. Fr. Lange looked over at us from his (& the squirrels') desk and challenged us: "The first one of you 2 to military press that 250 pound weight (which happened to be loaded and sitting close to where we happened to be standing), I'll give $50 bucks. Well, 'ol Ralph's eyes about bugged out; and, again, I had a date that Saturday night and no money. Typically for Fr., I guess you'd say, he laid some strong motivation out there for Ralph and myself. Ralph went first; he cleaned it okay but couldn't quite press that mother. Well, I fortunately was able to and...date money #2; thank the Lord and Father!

Enough of that less-than-exciting trivia. But in great appreciation for your very meaningful work for so many of us, a few commiserations seemed appropriate to share with you Notre Dame men who variously experienced the friendship and mentoring albeit similarly and differently per each man's memories of Fr.'s significant legacy to our time at Notre Dame; I'm forever grateful to Fr. for the opportunity.
paulgill
Site Admin

Return to Fr.Lange's Boys