Bob Sparado

A place for boys to brag about their weightlifting accomplishments.

Bob Sparado

Postby paulgill » 22 May 2010 0927

When I lifted at Fr.Lange's gym:

Why I lifted:

My favorite memory of Fr.Lange:
paulgill
Site Admin

Re: Bob Sparado

Postby paulgill » 02 Jul 2010 0927

Some of Bob Sparado's Fr.Lange memories:

It was 1965, I was Ray Munchmeyer's roommate in Zahm. Ray was a longtime lifter, and he convinced me to try it out. He introduced me to Father and told him I wanted to join the gym. Father was seated at his corner desk. He never said a word. He looked up with that sideways glance of his at my 5'10" frame and just nodded. I know that if it were not for Ray he would have told me to leave. He never spoke to me but he always let me work out. I think it was because I didn't stand around, I worked all the time I was in the gym.

I remember how he used to revel at telling bawdy jokes. It seemed that he waited until one of the guys was bench pressing a heavy weight, and just as he lifted the bar Fr.Lange would deliver the punch line. Their outstretched arms would shake trying to maintain the weight while they were laughing. Fr.Lange would just look at them and grin.

There was a time when I was bench pressing near the right rear of the gym, and I saw two students enter the gym, wearing full cold-weather gear. They walked in about twenty feet and stood, shoulder-to-shoulder, just staring at the activity. After a few moments I noticed Fr.Lange look up and, without a word, he walked along the back wall, then along the right side wall and then the front wall until he was positioned directly behind them with his back to the front door. He paused a second and then walked directly between them, thrusting each one aside as if they were rag dolls. As he walked between them, he spoke two words, "Get out." He then continued down the center of the gym towards his corner desk. They were gone before he got there.

He was one of a kind and will always be remembered and loved.

-Bob Spadaro
paulgill
Site Admin

Return to Fr.Lange's Boys