snatch club

A place for boys to brag about their weightlifting accomplishments.

snatch club

Postby ironman » 26 Apr 2010 0927

sirs - still cruising here on the reunion vibes, just for your edification--

one arm power snatched 100lb dumbbell x 3 reps today in the side yard, wife is witness.

it occurs to me, if we could get us all together every six months or so, i would be back in my prime in about five years, give or take.

any takers?
ironman

Re: snatch club

Postby monk » 26 Apr 2010 0927

I'm up for that!!! I think another very powerful incentive would be if when one of the FLABs comes up to you every 6 months and says:
"Monk?"
"Yes?"
"You look like shit!!!"
monk

Postby ironman » 29 Apr 2010 0927

yo, monk--i never saw you move so fast until the 50s music fired up; i was just hoping to get out of the way!!

by the way, we all had a hell of a time at your place, at least that's what i remember. i have a tendency to ascribe my own enjoyments to everyone else, but hell, the food was good and sorry we drank up all your scotch, blame ervin on that.

all the best from nashvegas
ironman

Postby monk » 29 Apr 2010 0927

Yo, Ironman:

It was truly my pleasure to host all you guys. I hereby offer to host an annual reunion every year on the B/G game weekend. I was apprehensive, because I hadn't hosted so many guys at once, and didn't know if I had enough food, booze, toilet paper, whatever. Actually, it was kind of a mellow reunion, given what it could have been. Now that I know how much to buy, etc., I got no problem hosting it every year.
monk

Postby ironman » 09 Jun 2010 0927

snatch club redux--

sirs: my youngest has received a package of scholarships to the university of tennessee at martin, the smallest and newest of the UT system schools. she was named one of 15 university scholars and also got the music award, plus 5k from her high school for excellence in music. she was accepted to ut, uk, mtsu, martin and alabama; obviously we didn't go far out of state.

so we go up to martin to pre-enroll, get housing, register for classes. as we walked around the little campus (the whole thing is smaller than the main quad at nd) i couldn't help but compare what her experience is going to be vs. what mine/ours was back in the day.

she will be fine; major in music ed., pipeline up to UK at lexington for her music masters, and in five or six years be teaching in an exclusive private school in Kentucky, Tn or elsewhere below the mason dixon line. she will have an international study experience (we are looking at Germany) and a semester of practicum, likely in Memphis or Jackson. she will march in the Skyhawk marching band, and travel to the games. nice little school.

but it ain't nd. the issue is nd ain't nd anymore either, do you agree with me? and its not just the size or complexity increases, its the spirit of the place. when dalton and i went to mass after the reunion blowout, i wanted to see if i could feel the life force, as it were. i stopped a couple girls on the way to the basilica, asked them about the obama visit, and they said they were from italy and didn't know much about it. from italy? see what i mean? is there anybody up there from kansas?

i walked over to one of the older patriarchal trees and put my hands on it, and hoped to feel the heartbeat of the place. nothing, not a vibe.

so, back at martin, i wondered in to the fitness gym in the student center; tons of weights, machines, even two squat racks. i went over to the dumbbell rack, from 10 to 100s. a big young afro guy was doing french presses with a 65lber. i told him to "watch yourself" and pulled a 100lber off the rack, set it on the floor, looked at the kid, and then power snatched it to arms length. his eyes got as big as dinner plates; i held it for about ten seconds and then put it back in the rack and left. his buddy came over and said "what did that old man just do?"

that was for nd, and for fr lange, may he rest in peace.
ironman

Postby paulgill » 09 Jun 2010 0927

Love that story, Kent. You should have told the guy about Fr.Lange. He would have thought you were speaking Martian, but we all know that giants walked the earth in those days. I will send you some more Fr.Lange "business cards" for situations like that.

Paul
paulgill
Site Admin

Return to Fr.Lange's Boys