Fr.Lange and the Four Horsemen

Discuss Father Lange

Fr.Lange and the Four Horsemen

Postby munchmr » 23 Jan 2010 0927

I'm a new member. My name is Ray Munchmeyer , and I trained in Fr. Lange's Gym from 1964-1968. I am truly enjoying everything about this site.

I wondered if anyone remembers Fr. Lange saying that he was the only person who was allowed to take pictures of the Four Horsemen (off the field, of course) ? The famous picture of the four players on horses was voted one of the top sports pictures of the 20th Century , but I never heard Fr. Lange credited as the photographer.

I also still have my "Father Lange Gym " jacket , and wore it to the Navy game this past November. If anyone wants a picture of the patch, I'd be glad to send it to them.

Again, thanks so much for setting up this wonderful site. It is such fun to see the pictures, and read the articles about this truly remarkable man , who meant so much to us in our youth.
munchmr

Re: Fr.Lange and the Four Horsemen

Postby edfitzpatrick » 23 Jan 2010 0927

Welcome fellow leadhead. If you would like to receive additional information on what we are attempting to do to permanently memorialize Father Lange, send the photo of the patch on the jacket to efitzpatrick@shopoff.com and I will forward it on to the Father Lange Alumni Board (FLAB) and add your e-mail address to the distribution list.

We are planning a reunion of Father Lange's boys the weekend of the Blue-Gold Spring game (April 18 & 19). It would great if you could join us.

Ed Fitzpatrick
edfitzpatrick

Postby monk » 23 Jan 2010 0927

Ray:

Welcome aboard. I'm Monk Forness. I seem to recall you name, because I entered ND in the fall of 1964 and graduated (escaped, some say) in June, 1968 -- the same years you said you were lifting at Fr. Lange's.

I won't give you any more particulars at this point, only because -- if you've read all the things we've put on this website -- you've got a pretty good idea of who we are.

FYI, I don't remember Fr. Lange ever saying, one way or the other, that he had the exclusive on taking pictures of the Four Horsemen. Possible amazing coincidence, if he did take the famous pic' of the Four Horsemen actually up on the horses, becasue that was a picture I distinctly remember in the first book I ever got from a library (I was 6 at the time), and the book was "Frank Leahy and the Fighting Irish."

Again, welcome aboard, and you will find the guys on the site among the very best men in the world. I kid you not.

Monk
monk

Postby paulgill » 23 Jan 2010 0927

Ray:

Let me add my welcome to those of Ed and Monk. We look forward to your contributions to the message board and to seeing you in April at the Fr.Lange's gym reunion. I will set up a space for you in the Fr.Lange's Boys forum to tell us about yourself, and you can upload a photo also.

I graduated from ND in 1970, so I am sure that we bumped into each other at Fr.Lange's at some time or other in the last years of the gym.

Paul
paulgill
Site Admin

Postby munchmr » 23 Jan 2010 0927

Hey guys , thanks for the welcome. I'm not surprised that you said that the guys are "the best in the world", because I always felt that way about the boys at Fr.Langes.

I'll get out the jacket/patch picture this weekend.

Just one thought. I saw an article about this site in the Notre Dame Magazine this week, Class of
68 section. If it had been under any other class, I would not have seen it. I bet that there are many, many guys like me , who would join up immediately if they knew about this site. Is there any way that we could get a small article in that magazine?

Again, thanks for doing this . I'm going to try to make the reunion.
munchmr

Postby paulgill » 23 Jan 2010 0927

Ray:

I sent an email to Kerry Temple last fall and asked him if he would mention the website and our planned reunion in April. No response. I then wrote him a letter. No response. I can't wait to get his next letter requesting a donation to the magazine.

Paul
paulgill
Site Admin

Postby monk » 23 Jan 2010 0927

Those people at the Notre Dame Magazine are idiots. When I got my book on the fraud in the health and fitness industry published, I sent a complimentary copy and two follow-up letters to my original letter requesting it be put in the section that highlights ND grads who have gotten a book recently published. Never heard a damn thing. Another reason for my doing "The Shadow."

Monk
monk

Postby ironman » 25 Jan 2010 0927

welcome to ray; thanks for joining up with this rowdy bunch and i look forward to meeting you although i was in that timespan 63-67 and maybe we already know each other..

in fact, fr lange may have been the Fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse, depending on your interpretation (there have been several over the centuries, the most commonly accepted by pop culture is pestilence, war, famine and death; the original greek i think has a different lineup, with Conquest replacing Pestilence)

Now if the other four are well known, if not universally agreed on, then the Fifth, as personified by Fr Lange would have been, possibly, "None of that Silly Shit", or "Knockem on their Ass"; and the horse would have been one of the Budweiser Clydesdales, called, affectionately, Peanuts

i could be wrong
ironman

Postby edfitzpatrick » 26 Jan 2010 0927

Speaking of peanuts, admit it Ironman, you like most of us would feed from time to time on the stash of peanuts Father Lange would leave on the steps to the weight room for his buddy Billie the Squirrel. In 1972 when I lived in Brownson Hall (during Law School) on the second floor just above the tunnel, I would carry peanuts around campus to feed hungry squirrels. I decided to see if Billie really existed so I walked into the opening of the tunnel and called his name several times. Believe it or not, from a hole about 15 feet up a sizeable tree just inside the courtyard a squirrel popped his head out, looked at me then ran down the tree and over to me and stood there demanding to be fed. I quit feeding him at around 10 peanuts then left a pile for him. I'm sure it was Billie and I think he knew I had stolen his peanuts back in 1966.
edfitzpatrick

Postby paulgill » 26 Jan 2010 0927

Ed:

How about Bobbie? You knew Fr.Lange had two pet squirrels, Billie and Bobbie. I was always amazed the way they would come into the gym and weave and bob their way over, under and around grunting lifters, hop up on Father's desk, and chow down on peanuts. I have never seen such fearless squirrels!

By the way, when I was a boy I used to go squirrel hunting with a 22. I used to skin them and dry out the pelts. My bedroom wall was plastered with squirrel and rabbet skins, some of which had not really dried too well and were a little grungy. I always admired the huge arms, shoulders and chests on those squirrels. I wonder how much a squirrel can bench?

Paul
paulgill
Site Admin

Next

Return to Father Lange