"Old time" weights

Discuss Father Lange

"Old time" weights

Postby monk » 13 Jan 2010 0927

Guys:

If you look right behind Fr. Lange on his picture that adorns the homepage of this site, you'll see a barbell with circular weights attached.

Does anybody know if those "old time" weights were solid, and essentially permanently attached to the bar (requiring another bar and attached weights of a different total if you wanted to life more/less)? Were they hollow and filled with a measurable amount of sand, or water, or buckshot, or whatever, to make the the whole setup a certain amount of weight? Could those round weights be "unscrewed" (I guess would be the term), and heavier/lighter weights attached to the bar?

T'ank youse.

Monk
monk

Re: "Old time" weights

Postby paulgill » 14 Jan 2010 0927

Monk:

I can't answer your question. I imagine it would be tough to add or subtract weight to this bar. I'll bet they were fixed weight. The obvious question is, what happened to the bars we see in all the old photos? There must be a black hole into which half of Fr.Lange's stuff has fallen.
Ditto the lifting boots.

Paul
paulgill
Site Admin

Postby monk » 14 Jan 2010 0927

Paul:

My best guess is that I possess the last remnants of Fr. Langes' Gym -- the 6 dumbbells that I picked up over in the Rock' last spring. I did look in the Gug' and the Rock' and there isn't anything there that seemed to have come from our Gym and asked, if any of those things were stored ANYPLACE, where might that be? Unfortunately, nobody knew, except one guy in the Rock' said maybe in the Gug', and a guy in the Gug' said maybe in the Rock'. REALLY sad.

Monk
monk

Postby paulgill » 14 Jan 2010 0927

Monk:

The odds are all those old wooden benches were thrown in a dumpster. I guess the only hope is to run into some old codger who was working at the ACC in the 1970s who remembers what happened to the stuff. It does beggar the imagination to think someone just strolled off with those mega-dumbbells, the 100#s, 110#s and 120#s.

Paul
paulgill
Site Admin

Bro':

Maybe, if you get into town for the reunion on that Wednesday or Thursday, we can go over to campus and see if we can find some old codger who might have some info.

Monk
monk

Postby edfitzpatrick » 14 Jan 2010 0927

You mean, "Old codger" like us? By the way, is there a weight room exclusively dedicated to the football team? I remember in 1972 when I came back for law school, all of Father Lange's stuff was in the room behind the eastern end of the hockey rink and a there was an adjacent room demised from the room with Father Lange's weights for the football and other team members. In this new room they had all of the new nautilus machines. Might there still be some of the old weights in this same room?

On the subject of the round ended barbells, the ends were hollow and came apart in the middle to allow the placement of 12 oz. bottles of Stroh's beer which was how the weight could be increased or decreased based on your thirst. This is where confusion entered the official weight lifting records of that period. Non-participants believed the weights used were measured in the metric system in the form of kilograms lifted, abreviated as such and such Kgs. The fact is "Kgs" represented an equivalence of "Kegs" lifted.
edfitzpatrick

Ed:

I had the same thought about us "old codgers" who were around in the late 60's/early 70's, but I didn't want any death threats, so I didn't mention any names. ;>)

As far as I know, there isn't any weight room dedicated exlcusively to the football team. Given their performance the last couple of years, there might be a cream puff room. The Gug' is reserved exclusively reserved for the use of varsity-sport athletes only.

Thanks for the info on the room behind the hockey rink. What I'll do is try and call Brian Boulac who is the G.M. of the JACC and see if he knows anything. It might take a while because we're in the midst of a VERY cold snap (chill factors go minus 20-30 below in the next couple of days) and heavy snow, and a LOT of places are simply closing business until next week. Couple of the problems that you sun devils in CA may not know is that the salt that road crews put on the roads to melt the snow does NOT work when it is extremely cold and the snow has very little moisture content, like now. Plus, with the very high winds we've got, it just blows the snow all over the place and a street can go from relatively clear (from snow plows) to a couple inches deep in snow in a matter of minutes. I say all this because I'm not sure if ND has closed faciltities/made it optional to come in from off campus to work on campus.

If you ever want to quit your day job, you can make it as a creative humor writer. Your bit about the barbells and the "keg" was GOOD!!!

Regards,

Monk
monk

Postby ironman » 15 Jan 2010 0927

sirs - if you were to click on the links paul set up, there's an old time strongman link which will show you a picture of sig klein, famous trainer from new york, posing with some of the old timey round bells of which you are inquiring..

i have been to klein's gym in the city, and spoke with the old man, this would be around 1968; he knew of fr lange, and spoke well of him, and treated me kindly.

btw, the solid bells were often not, solid that is, but filled with shot, which moved inside causing the balance to be very difficult. i think i remember that the great eugen sandow, 19th century physical culture's ultimate paradigm, had a set of shot filled weights in his stage act, and few could lift them successfully.
ironman

Postby ironman » 15 Jan 2010 0927

Sandow, of course, pioneered bodybuilding, held the first physique contest (Monk, i think, finished third in Most Muscular but out of the running) around 1900 and had one of the first home training courses available by mail.

he was a prolific philanderer, and his family disowned him finally; he is buried in an unmarked grave in london somewhere.

it is sandow's body that is the model for the Mr O trophy.

and you guys thought it was Burgener all this time...
ironman

Postby paulgill » 15 Jan 2010 0927

If anyone is interested in reading about strongmen of the past, buy David Willoughby's book "The Superathletes: A Record of the Limits of Human Strength, Speed and Stamina." It is a great book. I gave my copy to Mad Dog.

Paul
paulgill
Site Admin

Next

Return to Father Lange