If these walls could talk...

Discuss Father Lange

If these walls could talk...

Postby paulgill » 27 Dec 2010 0927

They would tell a story.
Fr. Lange's gym today.jpg
Fr. Lange's gym today.jpg (16.39 KiB) Viewed 13544 times

I wonder what they teach in that room now? Not the lessons that we learned so well from Fr.Lange.

Paul
paulgill
Site Admin

Re: If these walls could talk...

Postby monk » 27 Dec 2010 0927

Paul:

In all due respect, whoever occupies those desks may be learning something of value equal to what we learned in that room. To find out what that is, read the desk tops.

When I was at ND, I was so poor that, while you guys were drinking and skirt chasing on various breaks, I was hand-sanding the desk tops in O'Shaugnessy Hall, to make a few extra bucks. There was some pretty heavy stuff -- and incredibly funny stuff -- etched/carved into those desk tops. Wish I had a camera then, so I could have taken pictures of what was etched into those desk tops, made it into a book entitled "Wisdom from the Wood," and made a million bucks. Which, of course, I would have astutely invested that million over the past 40 years, and would use it now -- for the first time, and solely for the purpose of picking you guys up in a limo at your homes, driving you to the ramp of a private jet, and flying y'all in for our April reunion. I would need to have large amounts of that money available to have the drunk trunk pick you guys up at the Chateaux, run you back to the airport, and pour you back onto the plane.

I always wondered if med students scratched wise/funny things into their desk tops.

Regards,

Monk
monk

Postby paulgill » 28 Dec 2010 0927

Monk:

Med students have mnemonic devices for remembering all kinds of things, and you might see one carved on a desk at a medical school. The most famous one is an aid to remembering the 12 cranial nerves, whose first letters are O O O T T A F A G V A H. See if you can come up with it...Doc Murphy can give you a hint or two.

Paul
paulgill
Site Admin

Postby monk » 28 Dec 2010 0927

Piece of cake, Doctor:

You forget that I have Ph.D.s in Sports Medicine, as well as Excercise Kinsesophysiology, and have taught both those subjects, and founded and ran the National Center for Sports Medicine for more than a dozen years.

When I took A&P, the way I learned them was VHAVTOOOTFAG, pronounced like in der goot Cherman: "Vee havv tooot fag."

Those 12 nerves are Vestibulocochlear; Hypoglossal; Abducens; Vagus; Trochlear; Olfactory; Optic; Oculomotor; Trigeminal; Facial; Accessory; and Glossopharyngeal.

Doc Murphy would be proud. Now, gimme my medical degree.

I also created some aids, such as in knowing the function of connective tissue, such as the tendon and ligaments, which they certainly need to know re: sports medicine. This is basic, but it helps beginning students. I tell them that connective tissue CONNECTS something. To WHAT connects to WHAT, think of bones and muscles. The word bone had 4 letters in it. If you joined bone and bone, you would have 8 letters. So, liagment is 8 letters long, and it is that which joins bone to bone. A muscle and a bone can be joined. Muscle has 6 letters, bone 4. If you join them you get a ten-letter word -- and it begins with the word "TEN" -- which is, of course tendon, which is the connective tissue that joins muscle to bone. I got a bunch more, but we are long past the point of needing them as a memory crutch.

As I said, it's basic, but it helps beginning students. And, with me as their prof, they need all the help they can get.

Regards,

Monk
monk

Postby paulgill » 28 Dec 2010 0927

Monk:

Medical students are evidently a lot raunchier than PT students. Here is the way we remembered the 12 cranial nerves:

Olfactory
Optic
Oculomotor
Trochlear
Trigeminal
Abducens
Facial
Acoustic
Glossoparyngeal
Vagus
Accessory
Hypoglossal

Oh, Oh Oh! To Touch And Feel A Girl's Vagina. Ah, Heaven!

At least that's how the guys remembered them. I have no idea what the female students used for a mnemonic.

Paul
paulgill
Site Admin

Postby monk » 28 Dec 2010 0927

Paul:

You guys are a bunch of preverts... Good for you!!!

I think, at least for the Jewish girl medical students, it was "Oh, Oh, Oh! To Take And Freeload A Guy's VISAcard."

In teaching my American Military University Students (most of whom are military), as to the "Vee havv toot fag," the Marines think it's funny as hell. The sailors think it's an indictment... You got it, Canoe Clubbers. Can you imagine using such an un-PC word as fag, and not getting fired, in any other university?

Which all proves that I'm not as dumb as Mad Dog says I look.

Monk
monk

Postby ironman » 29 Dec 2010 0927

..this is grim.
ironman

Postby monk » 29 Dec 2010 0927

Paul:

Several of the lads wanted me to ask you about that word -- vagina. They say they've never heard of it. Must be one of those esoteric medical terms, right? A few of the guys seem to have a faint memory of some association with the word, stretching -- they say -- all the way back to their days at ND. Could it have something to do with weightlifting? A class, perhaps? Something we ate in the South Dining Hall that made us sick?

Monk
monk

Postby mikeburgener » 30 Dec 2010 0927

i found it 4 times!!!
mikeburgener

Postby monk » 30 Dec 2010 0927

Yeahhhh, and you found it at my room at the Alou Motel, and you never shared it with me.
monk

Return to Father Lange