A little poetry

Discuss Father Lange

Re: A little poetry

Postby ironman » 19 Dec 2010 0927

doctor gill - in response to your question as to my major, i started out in english, but the university was recruiting slaves for its art machine, or else the department might fold; i was contacted, interviewed and hustled into the fine arts program. my parents went along willingly, whatever the csc priests said was good enough for them..

i was one of five, count 'em, five fine arts graduates in 1967. and there lies an adventure, of which we may someday speak, until then...

here's another literary gem, that still speaks to me in this my twilight hour, from Joyce's Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, the scene where the old IRA guys are reminiscing in a bar in dublin, one says to the other: "Thank God, Thomas, we've lived so long and done so little damage.."
ironman

Postby paulgill » 19 Dec 2010 0927

Ironman:

You are indeed an erudite man, especially for a Leadhead. My favorite line from that work is "the snot-green, the scrotum-tightening sea" (he was describing the Irish Sea)

Paul
paulgill
Site Admin

Postby ironman » 20 Dec 2010 0927

yo, pauly -- you match me tit for tat, whoa, wait let me rephrase that (else i would have to explain who had the tits and who the tats); here's one you won't find in fine arts or literature, but history, that great teacher most men ignore to their peril, a saying from italian tradition, but popularized by mussolini: "Hat ferro, hat pane.." (He who has steel, has bread) which was used in the 20s to justify fascism and aggressive foreing policy. let that be a lesson, mr.president - elect.

but first we have to drain the pontine marsh..
ironman

Postby monk » 20 Dec 2010 0927

Lads:

I am anything but a fine arts afficianado, but I must confess I am little impressed by all these poems and phrases.

Why? All they talk about is combat and ground and water and stuff.

Didn't any of the masters of the word have anything cool to say about the cookies (broads)?
(Hooo, hoooooooo, the replies on this oughtta be good...)

Monk
monk

Postby paulgill » 20 Dec 2010 0927

Kent:

Are you saying that our new President should look for guiding wisdom in the words of a fascist dictator who was executed by his compatriots?

"...then On April 29, 1945, the bodies of Mussolini and his mistress were taken to the Piazzale Loreto (in Milan) and hung upside down on meathooks from the roof of a gas station, then stoned by civilians from below. This was done both to discourage any fascists from continuing the fight and as an act of revenge for the hanging of many partisans in the same place by Axis authorities. The corpse of the deposed leader became subject to ridicule and abuse."

Paul
paulgill
Site Admin

OK, Monk, here's one just for you.

To the Virgins, to Make Much of Time

Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,

Old Time is still a-flying:
And this same flower that smiles to-day

To-morrow will be dying.
The glorious lamp of heaven, the sun,

The higher he's a-getting,
The sooner will his race be run,

And nearer he's to setting.
That age is best which is the first,

When youth and blood are warmer;
But being spent, the worse, and worst

Times still succeed the former.
Then be not coy, but use your time,

And while ye may, go marry:
For having lost but once your prime,

You may for ever tarry.
paulgill
Site Admin

Postby monk » 20 Dec 2010 0927

Paul:

Lemme see if I git the jist of that poem. I interpret it as the author is saying ya gotta keep your blood hot but stay outta the sun, only get married once so you jump as many virgins as possible when you are still young, 'cause you're gonna grow older and not have as many bullets in your gun, and you'll be reduced to sniffing bicycle seats at the girl's dorm.

That about it?

Monk
monk

Monk, you missed your calling. You shoulda been a poet!

Paul
paulgill
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Father Lange