More articles

Discuss Father Lange

More articles

Postby ironman » 26 Aug 2010 0927

Paul/dierdre--there are two major articles about fr lange and the gym that would add to the collection here: one was a second Strength and Health article published in the summer of 1967, it had olympian lifter russ knipp on the cover, and a story inside featuring jed irvin; the article was written by jed's pal, a catholic priest from kansas city. there is even a small photo of a very skinny yours truly in the back of the article (i cringe in horror of the memory), although i was doing 255 hang cleans for reps, not bad for el sticko 175lbs; the second article was in the Scholastic magazine on campus in my sophomore or junior year, 65 -66 which gave the gym and the lifters a lot of pub; it had a very odd title, something like "MWF deadweight lift curl" , a play on a lifters routine for the week, monday wednesday friday. i remember it because it mentioned the famous Blue Pencil List, which had all the names of the guys who could press their weight. fr lange used a blue pencil to write the names and poundages pressed. i saw it once, and only once, in the football weight room back in the 80s, and try as we might, tom kelly, jim duchemin and i could not find it anywhere during the 67 class reunion.
ironman

Re: More articles

Postby paulgill » 26 Aug 2010 0927

Kent:

Do you have those articles? It probably would not be hard to find the Scholastic article in the ND library. I have seen the cover of S&H with Russ Knipp, and will see if the rest of the article is in my archives.

Paul
paulgill
Site Admin

Postby mspyjed » 08 Sep 2010 0927

Paul,

I have two copies of that S&H...one of the few things my wife hadn't thrown away. If you still need it I could send you a copy which you could return at your leisure.

-Jed
mspyjed

Postby paulgill » 08 Sep 2010 0927

That article is posted in the Articles section.

Paul
paulgill
Site Admin

Postby mspyjed » 29 May 2010 0927

No posts in quite a while....and Durso, the eloquent, clearly dominating/monopolizing the airspace. The man literally has French kissed the Blarney stone.

Those of us who attended the first quasi-semi-yearly Fr. Lang reunion need to post some of their remembrances, and all of their pictures of that event on the website (maybe that has been done...but I couldn't find any). Probably the emailing has been more convenient and easier, but I think the highlights of the long weekend should make it to this website.

I, for one, and not even going to mention Durso's behavior at Legends. I doubt he will ever be allowed back in...at least if he is recognized. Not withstanding, all who attended treasured the experience, and stories and heifer dust were flying. The visit to Fr. Lange's gravesite was memorable and well-captured in many pictures. Getting into the Gug was a challenge...but we did it, and Durso set a record amongst these attendees by taking the longest to get kicked our from the bulldog lady guard turning away all but the annointed...another virtue enabled by his Blarney stone experience.

It was great seeing old faces (even if covered, thankfully, by hair growth), seeing new faces, telling stories, insulting each other, and hopefully paving the way to get that Plaque in the Gug.

-Jed
mspyjed

Postby ironman » 31 May 2010 0927

i am mortified
ironman

Return to Father Lange