the Second Coming of Fr Lange

Discuss Father Lange

the Second Coming of Fr Lange

Postby ironman » 11 Nov 2010 0927

..we all know that Burgener is the new Fr Lange; his lifestyle and dedication to teaching the principles we learned under the grand old man have propelled burgener into national and international status. mike is recognized around the strength world as an expert...his son casey is the united states heavyweight weightlifting representative to the olympics, his other boys excel in their fields due to weight training and his daughter sage is going to be a national champ.

so why wouldn't mike take over the pitiful strength program at ND, and put some power back into the Feeble Irish? What better way to honor Fr Lange than to have his doppelganger back on campus, working with the athletes?

it would be the Second Coming. then maybe our lineman wouldn't get shoved eight yards backwards into the ball carrier, causing a loss of yardage and respect, neither or which do we have much of these days in football.

from blueandgold.com today: It seems only natural that the problems in the trenches could be a result of a mediocre strength program. If anyone saw what Boston College tackle B.J. Raji did to Irish offensive guard Eric Olsen, that’s serves as a shining example of what brings about this concern. Coach Weis himself has commented on a few occasions that his offensive and defensive lines have moved in the wrong direction. Size and mass don’t appear to be a concern with Notre Dame’s roster, so something has to give.

A further example of this point is the performances of those Irish players who have chosen to lift at the NFL’s annual Draft combine. It’s probably saying something when Notre Dame’s quarterback is throwing up better bench numbers than his offensive linemen, regardless of whether or not said quarterback is a gym-rat.
ironman

Re: the Second Coming of Fr Lange

Postby paulgill » 11 Nov 2010 0927

Kent:

I'd love to see it...many things to consider, including the fact that South Bend's climate is not quite as appealing as southern California's. Mike likes to take his kettlebells to the beach to work out in front of bikini-clad foxes. It might be hard to replicate that experience on St. Joseph's Lake.

Paul
paulgill
Site Admin

Postby monk » 11 Nov 2010 0927

Lads:

I would second (and third, and fourth...) having Mad Dog as ND's strength and fitness coach. HELL OF AN IDEA!!!

If Mikey could get that position, I humbly request to be considered for a position in charge of diplomacy.

Monk
monk

Postby edfitzpatrick » 11 Nov 2010 0927

Ironman, I agree totally. Paul, I live within 45 minutes of Bonsal and Father Burgener and you are correct about the weather differences. However, we live in the age of technology so why can't the weight training be done via teleconferencing? Monk could be the overseer on site while professor Burgener instructs from his in-home weight room. As a symbolic gesture, ND should recreate Father Lange's Brownson Hall weight room both in the Joyce ACC as well as the Burgener hacienda. The only thing I see that needs some thought and creativity is how Professor B can throw a 10 lb plate from Bonsal to ND at a loafing right guard. I can see this program going multi-national via a syndicated video production, much like Jack Lalane, whom I met in San Jose about 6 years ago after playing in a golf tournament with Merlin Olson and Dave Casper. Did you guys realize that Jack Lalane is only about 4'10" tall? I had to look down to talk to him.

Oh, and one last thing...I HAVE THE FATHER LANGE MASS CARDS THAT I HAD REPRODUCED SO SEND ME YOU MAILING ADDRESSES SO I DON'T HAVE TO LOOK THEM UP (I HAVE BURGENER'S) AND LET ME KNOW HOW MANY YOU WANT AND IF YOU WANT THEM LAMINATED OR NOT! Ed
edfitzpatrick

Postby monk » 11 Nov 2010 0927

Ed:

As usual, your humor and insight far exceed my humble abilities.

My address is:
51293 Golfview Ct.
Granger, IN 46530

Send me a dozen, laminated, and I thank you in advance for your efforts. Send the bill to Mad Dog.

Regards,

Monk
monk

Postby ironman » 12 Nov 2010 0927

ed fitzpatrick -- please send me a few of the mass cards also

kent durso
9038 old harding pike
franklin, tn 37064

thank you, and best wishes
ironman

Postby ironman » 12 Nov 2010 0927

ed - sorry, yes laminated please and i will be happy to reimburse you for the cost; send me monk's bill as well, as i owe him for dumbbell storage charges (so does burgener, on second thought send me burgeners' bill as well, i owe him for something, i just can't remember what it is)
ironman

Return to Father Lange