Other great strongmen of the past

Discuss Father Lange

Other great strongmen of the past

Postby paulgill » 19 Sep 2010 0927

When we were lads, Paul Anderson was THE strong man of myth and legend.
anderson.jpg
anderson.jpg (9.66 KiB) Viewed 10237 times

Check this out:

http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/211_fall200 ... estman.htm

Think he could play nose tackle, at 5'9" 360#?

Paul
paulgill
Site Admin

Re: Other great strongmen of the past

Postby ironman » 19 Sep 2010 0927

paul, i have been to anderson's youth home in georgia. those tractor wheel weights in the picture you posted are embedded now in a brick pillar at the front of the campus. his weightroom where he trained is lovingly kept, lots of weights, big 200lb dumbbells, squat racks. somewhere i have a picture of me pressing a 100lb dumbbell in anderson's gym, this was in 2001, i will see if i can find it.
ironman

Postby monk » 19 Sep 2010 0927

What strikes me a just as impressive -- maybe even a bit startling -- as the amount of weight Paul has hoisted on his shoulders, is the fact that, if my eyes do not deceive me, the guy has no towel or pad on his shoulders to keep the bar from cutting into him. As I recall, every bar that I ever used to do squats had some knurling in it for some extra "traction", and you HAD to wrap the bar in something or put some big foam rubber pads on your shoulders or the bar would just about shred your skin. Wearing a t-shirt/sweat shirt just wouldn't cut it, no pun intended.

Monk
monk

Postby paulgill » 19 Sep 2010 0927

What are you, a woos Monk? I never used a pad for squatting. I always had big traps and I think they provided some natural cushioning. I will say that I had a humongous callus over my upper spine that people sometimes mistook for a growth!

One thing that kills me is to see a guy wearing gloves to lift weights. Give me a break! I have always prided myself on having meaty, heavily callused hands (many patients have asked me how a doctor ever got hands like mine). In college, I would take a razor every couple of weeks and trim several millimeters of callus from the palms of my hands. My ND ring was size 13 originally. Since then I have had to have it taken down a couple of sizes.

Paul
paulgill
Site Admin

Postby monk » 20 Sep 2010 0927

I'm not really a woos. It was just a misunderstanding. See, one of the cookies at the St. Joe Nursing School would coo as she said "Ohhh, you are so soft." Unfortunately, she was talking about my head...

I also remember she was the one who bought me two of the most practical gifts I've ever received, and no, neither one needed batteries. The first was a back scratcher which, to this day I use. Especially useful when I developed my rotator cuff problem and couldn't reach areas of my back. The second was a callous remover. It was about an inch wide -- flat on one side -- and about 5 inches long. What you'd do is soak your hands to soften them up, and slowly slide the flat side -- which was kinda grainy in texture-- over the callouses on the palms of the hand to scrape away the callous/dead skin. Didn't do anything to get rid of the hair on my palms, though.

I've watched women lifters at various places and I've seen some that use no padding on their backs while doing squats, but they have so little weight on the bar, it doesn't pose a problem.

When you mentioned the big bump on your back, that finally answered a question. I saw this movie where this guy had this big bump on his back, and he was scurrying around this bell tower, yelling "Sanctuary, sanctuary," and pouring hot oil on people. Had a real good looking chick. Thought it might have been you or the Burg, but thanks for clarifying it for me.

I do remember shaking Fr. Lange's hand, and it was like grabbing a bear paw. It was pretty gnarled, and almost took a plumber to separate us. But I mareveled at whet that man could build. I always wondered if he took any/many civil engineering/architecture classes.

Hey, Big Dog, we gotta have a reunion of "Da Boys." I keep inquiring as to interest, and get almost no response. I think what would work is about 10-12 of us guys should agree on a date, and then tell everybody else. I think most of the other guys would jump in if they saw a bunch of guys already committed to it all at one time, as opposed to a lone wolf trying to stir up interest. What say you? I think a great time would be for the Blue-Gold game next spring.

Monk
monk

Postby paulgill » 20 Sep 2010 0927

Monk:

Let's plan on it. It might be a small group though. Not many of the Boys have posted on this site. But even if it's just a small cadre of die-hard Fr.Lange boys, we should do it. Mad Dog can ride his big Harley in from southern California, I can represent the Northeast, and Kent can roll in from Tennessee. Maybe we should run an orthopedic clinic. We can review our collective blown knees, frayed rotator cuffs, grinding A-C joints, and herniated lumbar discs. Bring x-rays, operative reports, and post-mortems where applicable.

Paul
paulgill
Site Admin

Postby ironman » 20 Sep 2010 0927

you guys are sick.

as for the bump, i have it too. right where the bar rests on my upper back, looks very much like quasimodo, as monk so astutely, and so literally, points out. doctors always ask me how i suffered that injury, same thing with my quads, what are those bumps there, either side of your knee? turn your head and cough...
ironman

Postby ironman » 16 Nov 2010 0927

Milo of Crotona: the father of weightlifting (it really wasn't Bob Hoffman). Traditions that run in Greek culture forever say that Milo actually lived as he is mentioned by Greek and roman authors of the day (Cicero), was an Olympian, never beaten in boxing or wrestling and the strongest man in Greece for many years. He is credited with the invention of progressive resistance, by lifting a newborn calf every day unti it was grown, he could still do it, and did with regularity (i think the cow must have liked it). Legend also says that pride goeth before a fall, and Milo tested his strength against a tree, split and chocked by a woodsman, his arm was trapped when the treetrunk closed on it, and he could not free himself. he was eaten by wolves.

so, when you go to the gym to lift cows, keep your hands out of tree trunks. Pretty simple.
ironman

Postby paulgill » 16 Nov 2010 0927

So, Ironman, what does the Milo of Nashville lift? Foals? Here in Vermont, real men lift sheep. At least, that's what they tell the cops, "But officer, I was just helping the sheep climb over this fence!"

Paul
paulgill
Site Admin

Return to Father Lange