Does Father Lange Have Living Relatives?

Discuss Father Lange

Re: Does Father Lange Have Living Relatives?

Postby paulgill » 26 Aug 2010 0927

All I can tell you is that Fr.Lange's brother was at his funeral in January, 1970. He appeared to be around Father's age. I didn't notice any younger people with him.
paulgill
Site Admin

Postby monk » 10 Sep 2010 0927

I just remembered something. Fr. Lange may still have a living relative. Guy may be an old dog, now, but I remember something about cryptonite. That jog anybody else's memory?

Monk
monk

Postby Elizabeth M. Mosley » 31 May 2010 0927

I am one of six children of Joseph A. Lange, Father Lange's brother. There was also a sister, Anna McLaughlin. We all grew up in Oil City, Pa. There are 4 of us still living. There were many cousins, aunts and uncles on my mother's side of the family, the McMahons, also in the Oil City area. But my memories of my Uncle Bernard are precious. He instilled such a sense of awe in me as a child. He would swirl through our area in northwestern Pennsylvania. He would say Mass in about three minutes, much to the chagrin of the altar boys trying to keep up. Those bushy eyebrows would shoot up if you questioned him, but with us kids, he was the greatest teddy bear of all times and the greatest teacher about life in general. Where he found the time and the means to bring us all gifts when he visited, I will never know. Our Christmases would have been so very "common" without his presence and his generosity. Being that we numbered 8 for every meal, and on Sundays, were joined for many years by our father's widowed sister, Aunt Annie, adequate food and money for basic needs were often stretched to the thinnest. An envelope would appear on the buffet in the dining room. Then, a little later, a letter, addressed ONLY to my mother, would arrive in the mail. This happened all year long but their frequency increased shortly before the holidays. I could write for hours about this very special man, but will close for now. Thank you so very much for this website as it confirms what we all knew for so long...that Father Bernard Lange was an extremely unique individual. By the way, I live a few miles from St. Edward's University, where Father Lange was first assigned. There is a Grotto to Our Lady of Lourdes that he and his students built so many years ago. My parents are buried in a nearby cemetery and my mother had selected the site because she could see the old main building at St. Edward's from the location. Small world, right? sincerely, Elizabeth M. Lange-Mosley, RN (Retired)
Elizabeth M. Mosley

Postby paulgill » 01 Jun 2010 0927

Thank you for sharing your childhood memories of Fr.Lange with us, Elizabeth. Although we "boys" like to share stories of Father throwing plates at transgressors in his gym, or bodily ejecting the worst offenders, we all know that beneath that gruff exterior was a warm, compassionate man who was a Chrisitian in the finest sense of the word. We would all love to hear more of your reminisences.

Paul
paulgill
Site Admin

Return to Father Lange