memories of Fr. Lange

Discuss Father Lange

memories of Fr. Lange

Postby Golfhobo » 25 Mar 2010 0927

My memories and thoughts of fr. Lange are all positive and often bring a smile. Even his favorite nickname for me The Man from Nowhere LOL he had not heard of Algona, Iowa.

It was he who kept me in school during a time the Dean of Disapline, a Fr. Leonard Collins was about to launch me. For an offense of which i was completely innocent :roll: But i had been a member of his gym for over 3 years and was regular and in good standing. Was living off campus and there was a "rumor" about that we 4 living at 616 N. St. Peter were out beyond the curfew hour on weekends. Fr. Collins made a visit and found no one home ( we could have been sound asleep at the time of his knock). ah hem
But i was called in, i was to have a disiplinary hearing set up......but the train was coming down the tracks.
Fr. in his own way knew all our moods, perhaps some thought he didnt see well..........but i disagree.......somehow during a workout he realized how down i was, so he asked another guy who told him what was up..............Fr. came up to me and laid a big hand on my shoulder and asked me to explain to me what the deal was. I did and he leaned back and got that big deep laugh of his going..................he told me to "keep yer nose clean, stay away from Lenny, do yer school work and you leave Lenny up to me".

My understanding was that in Corby Hall Fr. Lange had a visit with Fr. Leonard Collins The next time i went to the gym Fr. Lange came up and told me "hey you from nowhere i talked to Lenny fer ya and dont worry about it, its all fixed, but dammit you keep yer nose clean and do yer schoolwork from here out er it will be me dealin with you"

So, in his way and in his time Fr. Lange had more influence and clout than many realized.

This class of `62 graduate is positive that had it not been for Fr. Lange i would not have survived ND.

John M. Hood `62
Golfhobo

Re: memories of Fr. Lange

Postby paulgill » 25 Mar 2010 0927

Great story, John. Wouldn't you like to know what he said to "Lenny"?

Paul
paulgill
Site Admin

Postby Golfhobo » 25 Mar 2010 0927

Paul, Probably he didnt say too much, but he made his point and i imagine "Lenny" said very little. Do you remember that Fr. was not a listener? LOL He had not much to say but carried he meant what he said.
Golfhobo

Postby edfitzpatrick » 27 Mar 2010 0927

John,

I'm sure the memory of the great man's interest in one of his " boys" is indelibly etched in your mind in full panoramic color and dolby surroundsound. I love to here stories like this. It reminds me of the story my dad told me about Father Lange in 1927 when my father was a freshman and Fr. Lange was the Rector of Sophomore dorm. One cold winter night Father Lange heard a student singing in the shower well after lights out. This was a school expelling offense and by University guidelines the Rector was to write up the offender and haul his butt to the Disciplinary Board. But as in your case, Fr. Lange believed that boys will be boys and he was perfectly suited to mete out suitable, yet non-permanent punishment, so he went into the shower, plucked the offender out of the shower and the dorm by his ear and left him there in the freezing cold. The now unclad young man tried to get back in to the warmth and his clothes but Fr. Lange had locked the door. After several minutes Fr. Lange opened the door and reminded the student of the rules of house and that he was not to do it again. The student promised Fr. Lange he would never shower after lights out again whereupon the Rector said to him that he didn't care if he showered after lights out but the next time he (Father Lange) had to listen to that awful singing he would haul him before the Disciplinary Board for offensive behavior.

Just think, if Bernard Lange had not become a priest but simply a good Catholic layman who married and had a couple of kids of his own, he would not have become the father, or uncle, or grandfather or granduncle to thousands of young men like all of those who have contributed to this web site.
edfitzpatrick

Postby ironman » 11 Apr 2010 0927

..this is pure poetry

thanks
ironman

Postby paulgill » 12 Apr 2010 0927

I was lifting at Fr.Lange's gym on the Saturday before graduation in 1968. The campus was empty except for graduating seniors. (I was a sophomore but still on campus for track.) It was just me and Fr.Lange in the gym. We heard footsteps on the stairs leading up to the entrance, and then the door opened and one of the regular lifters (I cannot remember his name) came in with his parents. I had never seen a woman in the gym, and I was curious to see how Fr.Lange would react to her. The boy brought Mom and Dad over to Fr.Lange's desk and made the appropriate introductions. Fr.Lange dropped his crossword puzzle, stood up, shook the dad's hand, and then turned to the boy's mother, bowed deeply at the waist, and told her he was honored to meet her. I was so proud of Fr.Lange, as I know the boy was. His chivalry made a big impression on me.
paulgill
Site Admin

Return to Father Lange